The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Vetsuisse Faculty) of the University of Bern offers an integrated Bologna degree program in veterinary medicine and several doctoral programs. Some 320 veterinary medicine students and around 70 doctoral students are currently enrolled in the faculty.
Veterinary medicine concerns the following areas:
- Measures that improve the health and wellbeing of animals: breeding, housing, nutrition, treatment
- Researching, preventing and treating diseases
- Protecting humans from damage caused by animal diseases
- Monitoring foodstuffs of animal origin
- Problems relating to protecting animals and the environment